Not all sports events are created equal. Some are just more emotional, more intense and, frankly, more important than others. With this in mind, Concordia and McGill universities have joined forces and are pleased to introduce a crosstown rivalry series featuring six games between the long time combatants.
“I think it’s great for school spirit,” said Stinger fifth-year receiver Jahlani Gilbert-Knorren who also serves as the announcer at Concordia basketball games. “I think McGill-Concordia games are some of the most entertaining games in the CIS. It’s always electrifying.”
Bragging rights will be on the line as the football, basketball and men’s hockey teams clash on the following dates:
- Sept. 2 - Football - Concordia at McGill (Shaughnessy Cup) - 4:30 p.m.
- Oct. 14 - Men’s Hockey - Concordia at McGill - 7 p.m.
- Oct. 22 - Football - McGill at Concordia - 2 p.m.
- Nov. 24 - Basketball - Concordia @ McGill (doubleheader) - 6 p.m.
- Jan. 20 - Men’s Hockey - McGill @ Concordia - (Corey Cup) - 7:30 p.m.
- Feb. 16 - Basketball - Concordia @ McGill - Time TBA
Special promotions, including a Fan of the Game, are in the works. So circle these dates on your calendar and get ready to paint your face and to cheer at the top of your lungs. Your Stingers will need your FANatism on these days.
Check the McGill and Stingers websites and social media regularly to keep up to date on the crosstown rivalry series.