In a contest that came down to the very last play of the game, the St. Francis Xavier X-Women held on for a 24-17 victory over the Concordia Stingers in opening round action at the U Sports national women’s rugby championship in Victoria.
“It was a game of momentum,” said X-Women head coach Mike Cavanagh. “Both teams controlled the game at different times. We tackled well and held them up. They had some pretty good backs that punished us whenever they got the ball, but we will take the win and run.”
With two minutes left in the game and the score tied 17-17, the X-Women were awarded a penalty try after their strong pressure forced Concordia into repeat infringements.
Not willing to give up, the Stingers marched right back down the field and almost scored a try of their own on the last play of the game, but the referee ruled that the ball was held up by the St. FX defence.
“At the end I don’t know what happened exactly, but what a heartbreaking way for this game to finish,” said Concordia head coach Graeme McGravie.
Frédérique Rajotte, Mercedes Martino and Alexandra Tessier scored for the Stingers. Alex Ste Marie connected for a convert.
Concordia is relegated to the consolation side of the tournament and will play Saturday at 5 p.m. EDT.
- St. FX Try – Danielle Cormier (convert missed) – 5-0
- St. FX Try – Ellen Murphy (Sabrina McDaid) – 12-0
- CON Try – Frédérique Rajotte (convert missed) – 12-5
- St. FX Try – Joanna Alphonso (convert missed) – 17-5
- CON Try – Mercedes Martino (Alex Ste Marie convert) – 17-12
- CON Try – Alex Tessier (convert missed) – 17-17
- St. FX Try – Penalty Try (Alexandra McDaid) – 24-17