Concordia Stinger all-Canadian wide receiver Jeremy Murphy was selected 26th overall in the third round by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the CFL on Tuesday night.
Murphy, 23, of St. Bruno, Que. will report to rookie camp with the Bombers on Wednesday, May 10. The team’s main camp gets under way Sunday, May 14 at its home facility, IG Field
Last season, Murphy was named to the U Sports first all-Canadian team. It was the wide receiver’s second national award. In 2019, he was named the U Sports Rookie of the Year.
In 2022, he had 29 receptions for 589 yards and two touchdowns in seven games. He averages 20.3 yards a catch which was tops in the Quebec conference. He also caught five passes for 89 yards and two touchdowns in the RSEQ semifinal game against the Laval Rouge et Or.
The six-foot-one, 195-pound star comes out of the Champlain College, St. Lambert, football program.
The Stingers have an impressive history of sending receivers to the CFL. Here’s some of the more recent selections:
- 2020 - Vincent Alessandrini – Montreal – 7th round
- 2014 – Kris Bastien – Saskatchewan – 3rd round
- 2011 – Liam Mahoney – Winnipeg – 6th round
- 2010 – Cory Watson – Winnipeg – 2nd round
- 1999 – Sylvain Girard – Montreal – 1st round
- 1997 – Uzo Ubani – Calgary – 4th round
- 1996 – Denis Montana – Montreal – 1st round
Another successful Stinger receiver was James Tyrrell who was signed as a free agent by the Ottawa RedBlacks. He went on to win a Grey Cup as a member of the Blue Bombers in 2021.